Cookie Showdown

Growing up, Cookie Monster has always been an inspiration and role model (before he turned over a new veggie leaf, of course). In his honor, I've pledged to try as many cookies in NYC as I possibly can. While there are tons more cookies to eat, let me start you off with a handful:

Sugar Sketch:

If the traditional American chocolate chip cookie is too sweet for you, you're in luck. Sugar Sketch's chocolate chip (or more accurately, chunk) cookie has a certain lightness to it that is unlike any other chocolate chip cookie I've ever had. While it still definitely feels like dessert, both the dough and chocolate do not leave you with an overwhelming sugar rush. They are soft in nature, melt in your mouth, and have a very respectable cookie-to-chocolate chunk ratio. I can't put my finger on what gives the airiness to this cookie (probably because I'm no baker), but I do know that it will satisfy your sweet tooth without giving you a sugar-induced headache.


Levain:

Probably one of the most talked about cookies in NYC, Levain has definitely earned the hype. I will say that these cookies are so immense that they are basically cookie balls; look at that height for crying out loud. These feel like "grandma's cookies" (ironic for me to say since neither of my Turkish grandmothers had a recipe for chocolate chip cookies) in the sense that they are so moist, chocolaty, decadent, and even though you've tried making her recipe they never come out as good as when your grandmother makes them. They are definitely worth waiting in line for if you've never had them before, though I don't think they're worth waiting in 45+ minute lines every time you have a cookie craving. I'll take things one step further and say that these are the perfect PMS cookie.


Besfren:

LET ME TELL YOU 'BOUT MY BESFREN. But really. While the NYC foodie community is decently informed about the excellence that is Besfren's cookies, I still consider them to be an underdog in the cookie world. Every single time I've gone into Besfren for a cookie (trust me, it happens too often), they are fresh, warm, and have the most chocolate chips per bite (3 types of chocolate in their chocolate chip!). As of current, this place is my top recommendation if your in the mood for an ooey gooey chocochip while in Manhattan. 


Max Brenner:

Hmmmm. I'm pretty disappointed with Mr. Brenner. The double chocolate cookie I had was rock hard all the way through, including the chocolate chips. The flavor was simply 'meh.' I was expecting more from a five dollar cookie. To be fair, I got this from Bryant Park Winter Village where they had a booth, not the actual restaurant location. I'll have to find out if their cookie-based dessert is superior or equally disappointing.


Insomnia:

Classic cookies, always hot off the press and competitively priced (for Manhattan). These feel the most like a batch of homemade cookies: delicious, a bit messy, and sometimes unevenly shaped. Their biggest competitive advantage? They deliver cookies to us city folk until 3 AM. 


Ben's:

Ah, Ben's Cookies. When studying in London, I was spoiled with the aroma of Ben's Cookies right outside the tube station closest to my flat. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I've been craving Ben's for the past few years, but I do rightfully believe they will knock your socks off. Ben's also has the most unique flavor list of cookie spots I've mentioned thus far (praline & milk, orange & milk chocolate, cranberry & white chocolate, just to name a few).


Elisa's Love Bites:

Gluten free friends, rejoice! If you're looking for both a guilt-free AND gluten-free cookie, then Elisa's Bangin' Chocolate Chip Cookie is for you. Made with all organic ingredients and coconut sugar (as opposed to white sugar), you can have your cookie and eat it too. These cookies are the smallest of the mentioned, giving you the option to have a mini, sweet, and guilt-free treat. Or you can eat an entire tin in one sitting, whatever floats your boat.





Milk & Cookies:

I had the opportunity to customize my own cookies here, using their chocolate chip cookie dough as the base. As you can see I made all the cookie combos under the moon. The dough is so buttery and delicious here. They are also pretty thick, coming out of the oven slightly crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. BONUS: you can customize your own ice cream sandwich at the shop, picking out your cookie flavors (it can be the same or two different cookies), gelato, and any toppings your heart may desire. Definitely a win in my book.



Yes, I know I'm missing many a-cookie locations, but this is a pretty strong start. I'll further edit this post as I continue to munch on cookies across the big apple. 

RECAP: If you've never been to Levain, you need to go at least once. Besfren has one of the best underrated chocolate chip cookies in NYC. Ben's and Insomnia Cookies will always be a reliable source for a fresh and delicious batch. Sugar Sketch is perfect for those who don't have a hyperactive sweet tooth, but still like to indulge here and there. Gluten-free and health conscious friends, Elisa's Love Bites is for you. For customizable options, check out Milk & Cookies. Don't get Max Brenner cookies.


Cookie Monster out.

Comments

Popular Posts