You've Been Struck By, A Smoothie Criminal - Top Three Smoothie Recipes

If you've been following my account, you are well aware that I am OBSESSED with smoothie bowls. Basic model smoothies (ones served in a glass or cup) are fine and all, but I'm all about that upgrade - that smoothie 2.0. Give me all the advanced features - turbo engine, heated steering wheel, sprinkles of coconut and bee pollen.


I used to think smoothies were just a bunch of fruit blended with milk or yogurt, creating this cloying tonic that started with a sugar high and ended with a crash and burn. After long, strenuous hours of research and experimentation (AKA a few google searches and trial runs), I learned smoothies do not have to be painfully sweet, sugar-spiking potions. In fact, they have the potential to be extremely well-balanced in nutrition.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a nutritionist and every person's body is different; therefore each requiring/craving different nutrients. Listen to yo body, it will do you wonders.



Here's a few tips and tricks for all of the below smoothies:

Thickness: Controlling the milk is KEY. I like my smoothie bowls THICC so I tend to add the milk a little at a time. If you want the consistency pudding-like, start with less milk than listed below and work your way up to desired thickness. For a thinner smoothie, continue adding little by little until you reach a consistency you fancy.
Customization: There may be an ingredient you dislike/have an allergy to, but the beauty of making your own smoothie bowl is you can *DO WHAT YOU WANT, WHAT YOU WANT WITH YA SMOOTHIE* (sung in the key of Gaga). This isn't Handmaid's Tale (yet), so feel free to switch it up until you find the combo you love.
Measurements: Truth be told, I never measure anything when making smoothies. These recipes are great bases to get you started, and I suggest measuring until you find your perfect smoothie equation. Maybe that means only half a cup of frozen zucchini instead of a full cup. Once you reach your preferred balance of ingredients, there's a good chance it will become a sort of muscle memory.
Blender: Quality of blender does make a difference. That being said, I'm not suggesting you run out and buy a $500 Vitamix (ain't nobody got time for that). When I first dipped my toes in the smoothie pool, I had a good ol' fashioned As Seen On TV Magic Bullet. It was great in college for the very occasional blending that went down (mostly margaritas), but it wasn't powerful and didn't have the capability to properly blend frozen ingredients. For the past year, I have been in a very committed relationship with the Ninja and could not be happier. 

I think that's enough inspirational smoothie talk for now, onto the good good: 

Power Greens

This is the smoothie I go for at least 50% of the time. I love the flavor, feel like I'm getting all my greens, and always have these ingredients on hand.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups spinach or kale (or mix)
  • 1 cup frozen zucchini
  • 1/2 medium avocado
  • 1 small banana
  • 1/4 granny smith apple
  • 1 tsp spirulina
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein
  • 3 tbsp almond milk (or desired nut milk)
  • 1 tsp honey/date syrup (optional)

Sweet Potato Pie

This one is very reminiscent of fall, and I for one am an advocate of keeping an autumn palate all year round. 

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium sweet potato (baked, refrigerated or frozen)
  • 1 cup frozen zucchini/steamed cauliflower mix
  • 1/2 medium avocado
  • 1 small banana or 2 mejdool dates (softened)
  • 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tsp ashwaganda (optional)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein
  • 3 tbsp almond milk (or desired nut milk)

Acai Beet

Fair warning - the raw beet makes for quite an earthy bowl. If you enjoy a savory flair and love beets, you will love this one.

Ingredients:
  • 1 frozen acai pack
  • 1/2 beet (raw, chopped in small pieces)
  • 1 cup frozen zucchini
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 3/4 cup spinach
  • 1/2 medium avocado
  • 1 mejdool date
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein
  • 3 tbsp almond milk (or desired nut milk)
  • 1 tbsp honey/date syrup (optional)



Time for the part that makes smoothie bowls superior to its counterparts: TOPPINGS. My toppings of choice are always dependent on what I have in the pantry. No sunflower seed butter? Use almond butter. No chia seeds? No problem. The list below are ingredients that I frequently repurchase/have accumulated over time.
  • coconut flakes
  • granola
  • dried goji berries
  • fruit (my favorites are blueberries, raspberries, figs, kiwi, and pomegranate)
  • nut/seed butter (almond/cashew/peanut/sunflower)
  • bee pollen
  • nuts/trail mix (almonds/pecans/walnuts/peanuts/hazelnut/cashew)
  • seeds (chia, pepita, sunflower, flax, hemp)
  • chocolate chips/cacao nibs
  • honey/date syrup
I have forever been one to play with my food, hence the plethora of smoothie bowl 'art' that goes down in my kitchen. Whether you spend fifteen minutes constructing perfect topping lines or simply throw everything into the bowl, it will be equally delicious.





Always go bowls deep my friends,
cursive-fonts




Comments

Popular Posts