Cookie Dough Not Get Me Started


Ah, Cookie DŌ. Arguably the trendiest NYC food of 2017 thus far. For the 1% that may not have heard, DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections is a company that sells safe to eat cookie dough (due to pasteurization of eggs and treatment of flour with heat). To my knowledge, they began selling tubs of their cookie dough through their website and eventually through partnerships with other food retailers. At the end of January 2017, Cookie DŌ opened up their first specialty sweet shop in Greenwich Village where every aspect and component of the shop is all about that dough.


Sounds like a dream come true right?! I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited. This place will legitimately put scoops among scoops of cookie dough in a cone and won't even judge you for it (well, at least I hope not). All the major leaguers (as I like to call them), including Thrillist and Insider Food, were publishing pieces and videos featuring this beloved cookie dough shop.

Last Sunday I had plans of visiting the shop and getting my hands on this glorified cone of raw dough. I went at 10:45 am (the store opens at 10am) thinking I was brilliant; who else wants cookie dough for breakfast? Many people, apparently. There was already a TWO HOUR LINE scaling across the entire block for this place. I truly intended on having this for breakfast, but I was not prepared to stand alone for two hours on an empty stomach just for some damned cookie dough.

Flash forward to today's lunch break at work. I stopped at Blank Slate (shout out to them, they're awesome) to find what on their shelves? Individual tubs of Cookie DŌ, basically waiting for me. I was so excited that I grabbed a tub and ran to the counter, dough and credit card ready. Only as I handed my card over it was brought to my attention that this special little tub of chocolate chip cookie dough was $12.00. I was expecting to pay more than Toll House, but COME ON. Letting bygones be bygones, I tasted this supposedly magical, life-changing treat. One bite was all it took for me to realize I would have been very, VERY content spooning that Toll House instead.

Is the cookie dough bad? No, of course not. But it was ONLY that: cookie dough. I was very underwhelmed. Yes, I understand the appeal of worry-free, sickness-free, raw dough consumption. That being said, in all my years of living and most likely pounds of cookie dough consumed, I have never gotten sick from it (or paid $12.00 a cup for that matter).

I don't think I could stand (literally) to wait 2-4 hours (the line was even longer midday) for an overrated cup or cone of cookie dough. The prices at the shop seemed ever so slightly more reasonable, but still on the pricey side ($4 for one scoop, $7 for two, $9 for three, $1.50 for a fancy shmancy cone that I would probably indulge in). However, I do plan on returning one day, maybe in winter 2018 when the hype has died down, just to give them a fair chance and try some of their more interesting flavors.

I will also say I am very impressed by the overwhelming amount of popularity and success this new company has gained in very little time. From an entrepreneurial standpoint, hats off to you, Cookie DŌ.

If you decide to brave the 2+ hour lines to try this oh-so treasured cookie dough, I wish you, your patience, and your taste buds the best of luck.


If you need me, I'll be in bed eating massive quantities of Costco cookie dough recovering from this traumatizing series of events.


Comments

Popular Posts