Sugar Sketch: Drawing A Place in my Heart


A few weeks ago I attended an event with my fellow Palate ambassadors at the ever so lovely Sugar Sketch Italian Cakery. Being a small yet charming bake shop in the East Village (2nd Street b/w Avenue A and Avenue B), I was expecting to taste some cakes and be on my merry way. THIS PLACE BLEW ME AWAY. So. Many. Options. And to think my favorite menu item I tried was the truffle artichoke pizza (I KNOW, RIGHT?! Pizza at a cakery, madness!).

Contain your hunger while I share the endless eating that Martina, proud and delightful owner of the shop (just opened in 2016), so graciously shared with us. Disclaimer: eating all the below within an hour and a half time span will cause immediate and severe food comatose.


CAKE CAKE CAKE CUPCAKE

Holy freaking cupcake. Let me start by giving you key information that every single cupcake available here is stuffed. In the wise words of Martina, "A cupcake with no filling is a waste of calories." Amen, sister. All cakes are topped with buttercream, as opposed to a sugar-rich icing alternative. About 15-20 unique flavors are available at a time, with new ones constantly being added and switched in. My favorite of the cupcakes was the "That's Amore," which is an amaretto cookie cupcake, cannoli cream filling, vanilla buttercream, and topped with almonds. Gluten free options are also available and believe me, you would not think they are sans gluten based on flavor.


Birthday Cake:

Going Bananas:

 Limoncello: 

That's Amore ♡


Full-on cakes can be ordered by size, and they are available to customize by cake flavor, buttercream flavor, filling, and topping.  

MUFFINS

I wasn't aware that I should be holding muffins to a higher standard until I was introduced to stuffed muffins. You heard me correctly. I tried the blueberry muffin with blueberry cream cheese filling and do not think I can go back to what I now refer to as the 'basic bitch blueberry.'




SAVORY GOODNESS

There was a theme I noticed amongst this side of the menu and that theme was TRUFFLE OIL. Most of the savory options (there were A LOT for a cakery) were loaded with quality truffle oil and I couldn't get enough. Turns out the chef is Brazilian, and when combined with the owner's Italian roots they come up with some pretty magical culinary fusions. Some of options available are panzerotto (Italian empanada), pizza/flatbreads, and cheese clouds.


Panzerotto:

Cheese clouds. Dreamy, right? It's like biting into little fluff balls of flavor and happiness. 



There is a 84.8% change you're salivating onto whichever device you're reading this on and I don't blame you. Even if you considered only one of the above items to be mildly appealing, you should head down to the East Village and grab a bite (tell them @thehungryturk sent you 😉). 

Special shout out to Martina and her staff for being so hospitable and just as excited to share all their treats as I was to eat them. Check them out on Instagram @sugarsketch and online at http://www.sugarsketch.com/!


Stay sweet (but also salty) everyone!


Comments

Popular Posts